April 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Kelly!

Yesterday was my brother-in-law's 30th birthday. Here's the card that I made for Kelly:


The layout from this week's Pals Paper Arts challenge is what inspired me. Won't you play along?

Here are the DEEtails:

1. I started off with a Night of Navy card. Masculine cards are so hard for me, so I decided to just keep things basic.

2. I love the rugged look of the Happy Birthday stamp in the Four Square set. I think every man I know has gotten a birthday card using this one. Hehe! I stamped it in VersaMark and used silver embossing powder - Oooh! - to kick this card up a notch. It is, after all the BIG Three-Oh!

3. I cut each Happy Birthday Square out and mounted each one onto a Basic Black square trimmed just a tiny bit larger. I lined the three squares up on a Basic Black mat and used dimensionals to make them pop.

4. You know I can't resist a bit of frill, no matter how masculine a card it is, so I added a bit of ribbon. I had this neat silver and black ribbon in my stash that I thought I would never use, but it just happened to be oh-so perfect for this card! I rippled and layered it a bit to add some texture.

5. Then I adhered my Basic Black mat onto my card! So simple!

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Love that you did a guy card. I find it very hard to get ideas for the men in my life, and this one's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the touch of the wrinkly ribbon! So glad you play at PPA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great masculine card, and what a great job with the sketch! Thanks for playing @ PPA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent masculine card. Again, a simple and classic design. I love trios! Hugs, M

    ReplyDelete