September 5, 2014

Crafts from the Past: Princess Pegs

Finally... a crafty post! I haven't been able to craft much recently because I've been so busy with the start of the new school year, but I dug this one up from a few months ago. I had so much fun with this. I hope you like it!

My friend Rebecca's little one celebrated her fifth birthday earlier this year. It had been a while since I was able to craft, but I was determined to DIY a fabulous gift for her.

I was inspired by the Princess Peg Doll tutorial from Lil Blue Boo and was eager to make my own. I also did a little search on Pinterest, which was loaded with ideas and inspiration.

I actually did a bit of researching on the Disney Princesses to make sure that I was including all the right characters. I can't say that I completely agree with this whole list, but here are the princesses that I made, based on the official list: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Mulan, Pocahontas, Tiana, Merida, Rapunzel, Anna, & Elsa. Of course, being the crazy person that I am, I created the princesses in chronological order.


I purchased the peg dolls from our local craft store and used some acrylic paint that I had on hand. I did end up buying a few new fine tip paintbrushes and a painter's palette which was great for mixing to get the right shades of hair and skin color. I used clay for the little buns and my hubby helped with spraying them all with sealer. I had originally started sewing a tiny cape for Snow White and had a real ribbon sash for Mulan, but in the end decided that it just didn't look right. I liked the simplicity of just the painted peg dolls.

Here's a line up of the 13 pretty princesses :) I especially love all their different hair styles.





I'm gonna be honest and tell you that it was really hard to give these up after working hard to create them. I so desperately wanted to keep them and play with them myself. :) I even went out and bought extra presents for Rebecca's daughter just in case I changed my mind at the last minute. Haha. My hubby finally coaxed me into giving them up by buying me more supplies to make my own set and told me that I'd probably want to make all the Princes too. I think he was right. :)

But in the end it was worth it as I watched Rebecca's daughter open her Princesses and saw her eyes light up. She immediately wanted to play with these little figures and lined them up and down and named each one. She has an amazing mathematical brain and immediately started sorting them by hair color, eye color, hairstyle and more. Then she started asking questions like, what do you think will split them into the most number of groups? And what do you think will split them into the least number of groups? What a brainiac! I love it :)

So, which one is your favorite Princess?

1 comment:

  1. They are precious. I can see why you didn't want to give them up! Hope things are moving along calmly and well through this new school year. You deserve an easy ride!

    ReplyDelete